Fun-Fact about me: I rarely drink water. I usually go throughout an entire day with maybe half a cup of water. I barely drink any water when I consume breakfast, lunch, or dinner. But the weird thing is I’m never really that thirsty to begin with, I never feel dehydrated. #thethirstisnotreal
I have lived 26 years like this. Without drinking much water and not having any major complications. I always thought, “This is just how my body is made.” But… I have been having some health issues these days and someone close to me has pointed out that I really need to start drinking water.
Some of my symptoms included:
- Having dry chapped lips even RIGHT after I take a shower.
- Always needing chap-stick. (Like really really bad.)
- Major fatigue, having trouble doing anything without feeling tired, being tired almost immediately even after 15 hours of sleep.
- Feeling groggy all day long. (I googled my symptoms about all this prior to this experiment and like everything else I google, it told me I’m going to die from cancer. Sometimes, I seriously hate you google.)
- I can’t focus. I used to be able to multitask and focus really well on many different things at once, but these days I feel like I have A.D.D.
- Recently I had a incredibly torturous throbbing headache. (I usually have headaches and am on Migraine medicine 80% of the time.) But this was no typical migraine, it was like a tsunami that I have never experienced before. I wanted to cry and it hurt so bad I had to go home from work, popped double the medicine and cringed in pain curled up like a rollie-pollie in my bed for two hours. This eventually went away but it lingered around mildly for about 3 days. (I was genuinely so scared that I might have had a minor stroke. Which I recently found out can happen if your body is too dehydrated.)
- My eyes are constantly dry even with eye-drops. It’s gotten so bad that my “single daily contacts” dry out in my eye within 6 hours of wearing them. I had to adapt to use 2 pairs of contacts a day. OR wear glasses half day, and contacts half day.
This person convinced me, that if I drink enough water that all these symptoms would probably disappear, and if not it would still be extremely beneficial in more ways than I can imagine. So I thought to myself, “This isn’t a bad idea and he sounds pretty convincing so why not give this a shot.”
Keep in mind, I also have a hard time drinking water. I hate drinking water. I can drink an entire of pitcher of beer in less than 2 hours but I can not force myself to chug down water the same way for the dear life of me.
Day 1 (Wednesday 7/27/2016)
9:00 A.M. – I couldn’t wake up on time (7:30 A.M.) today, even with 5 alarms and my boyfriend calling to wake me up. I feel groggy, my body feels extremely heavy. My lips are chapped. TBH, I feel like crap.
4:39 P.M. – I have finally finished 1 bottle (16.9FL oz.) of water.
11:35 P.M. – I really don’t feel like drinking plain water, so I steep a Trader Joe’s Jasmine Green Tea bag into another 1 bottle (16.9FL oz.) of water. I ended up only drinking half of this bottle because I was too lazy and went to sleep instead.
TOTAL WATER FINISHED: 1 1/2 Bottles. (25.35FL oz.)
Day 2 (Thursday 7/28/2016)
7:35 A.M. – I woke up five minutes late today, with the help of my boyfriend calling and two alarms. (Well.. honestly… I also really had to pee.) I feel… meh okay, my body feels a little lazy. Totally want to lounge in bed a little more but had to get up to go to work. My lips are only half as chapped as yesterday. I feel 50 x times better than yesterday though.
11:48 A.M. – I have finished 1 bottle (16.9FL oz.) of water. I’m feeling pretty damn proud of myself for finishing one entire bottle worth of water before noon right now.
4:57 P.M. – Just finished a Grande Iced Starbucks Strawberry Acai with Coconut Milk. (16FL oz.) An update on how I feel…. 1. I keep having to pee every 2 hours, 2. I’m not full but I’m also not hungry. Definitely feel “water-full”.
7:00 P.M. – Okay, so I started drinking alcohol for Thirsty Thursday. Hopefully this doesn’t affect my water intake.
TOTAL WATER FINISHED: 2 Bottles. (32.9FL oz.)
Day 3 (Friday 7/29/2016)
6:00 A.M. – “Why did I drink last night? I am so dehydrated and I need water…” Gulped down 8.45FL oz. of water while half asleep.
9:10 A.M. – Still incredibly dehydrated. Chugged down a Vita Coco 100% Coconut Water drink at 11.1FL oz.
2:29 P.M. – My eyes don’t feel as dry any more. I haven’t used eye-drops the past 3 days. My face skin feels really good, it feels more plush and its not as dry as before. Also I forgot to put on lotion this morning but it doesn’t seem that affected and strangely I’m less oily in my T-Zones.
5:30 P.M. – Finished 1 bottle for (16.9FL oz.) of water.
TOTAL WATER FINISHED: 2.15 Bottles. (36.45FL oz.)
Day 4 (Saturday 7/30/2016)
8:00 A.M. – Woke up and drank 8.47FL oz.
11:20 A.M. – Went to Slurpin Ramen, had about 6FL oz. of water there with my food.
12:45 P.M. – Ordered a venti Strawberry Acai with coconut water but only ended up drinking 9FL oz. of it.
9:45 P.M. – Had 6FL oz. of water at with dinner at Yup Duk Duk Bo Kki.
TOTAL WATER FINISHED: 1.74 Bottles. (29.47FL oz.)
Day 5 (Sunday 7/31/2016)
10:00 A.M. – Finished 1 bottle (16.9FL oz.) of water.
12:30 A.M. – Tea from Teavana Store (6FL oz.)
8:45 P.M. – Drank a little bit of water with dinner at KoKo’s Chicken (6FL oz.)
TOTAL WATER FINISHED: 1.71 Bottles. (28.9FL oz.)
The Overall Outcome.
- I feel a lot healthier. It’s almost amazing at how with a little bit of effort of drinking more water, I feel so much better.
- My lips significantly less chapped. It has gotten better by like 80%.
- I only had to use eyedrops once in the five days and that was only because I consumed alcohol (which drys out my eyes for some reason).
- I’m pretty obsessed at forcing myself to drink water now. It’s almost like a drug because I know that if I keep this up and drink more water than I am doing now, that I will be in far better health and condition than I am right at this moment.
- My urine is a tiny bit lighter, but there was no drastic change in color. But I did have to urinate very often.
I’m definitely pleased and will continue to keep this habit. I hope that my water experiment on myself has convinced you to also drink more water. =)