How to Make Korean Army Stew (Budae Jjigae)
We would love to hear your thoughts! Feel free to leave comments or questions below, and don’t forget to subscribe for more! ♥
SOUP BASE | DASHIDA STOCK
- 10-12 anchovies
- Kelp (dashima or kombu)
- 6 cups water
- Soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- Hot pepper paste (gochujang)
- Hot pepper flakes (gochugaru)
- Minced garlic
- Medium to firm tofu
- Green onions
- Enoki mushrooms
- Ramen instant noodles
- Rice cake (dduk)
- Korean kimchi
Small/medium shallow pot
Portable gas burner (or stove)
Small bowl for mixing spicy sauce
HOW TO MAKE SOUP BASE | DASHIDA STOCK
- Pour 6 cups of water into a pot.
- Add anchovies and kelp to the water.
- Let it soak in cold water for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, turn the flame to medium-high and boil for 10 minutes.
HOW TO MAKE SPICY SAUCE
- In a small bowl, mix together all the ingredients (soy sauce, sugar, water, hot pepper paste, hot pepper flakes, minced garlic).
MAKING KOREAN ARMY STEW
- Into the pot with the dashida stock, add each ingredient one by one and arrange them to your liking (tofu, green onions, spam, sausages, enoki mushrooms, ramen instant noodles, rice cake, kimchi).
- Set the flame to medium-high and boil for 10 minutes!
- Once it starts boiling, add American cheese on top to melt (and ground pepper if desired).
- BON APPETIT!